June 3, 2011

Killing Your Darlings

Guess I'm bringing this up because there is a small faction of people in class who want to kill off the president. Well, the character, I mean. (As a side note, it's ridiculous what we can get away with saying just because we're writers. Such as, "Let's kill the president!")

I've got this reputation for killing at least one character per story, and I'm not sure where it came from, because that's really not accurate. I mean, I get really attached to my characters! Even the villains, bless their evil hearts. If I'm gonna kill them off, it's gotta mean something.

And then we have stories where it seems like everyone is dying left and right. I'm sure we can all think of a couple examples. *Cough*Deathly Hallows*Cough*Hunger Games*Cough* And it's like, never-ending sorrow. And it can be really, really difficult to see the point in some of these deaths. Not saying that it can't be used effectively, but there's just that little part of you that got really attached and... yeah. You know.

So how do you handle character deaths?

2 comments:

  1. I tend to kill my characters before anyone even meets them. Then, my main character is usually messed up and dealing with the death of said person for most of the book.

    (Spoiler alert: the MC grows and changes because of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a smart idea. Nobody gets attached, and the characters still have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete