August 15, 2011

Let's talk about cursive

There was this post over at Daily Writing Tips talking about how people don't really write in cursive or by hand anymore because of computers and tech and all that jazz. (It's like a sillier version of the hard copy v. ebook debates, except hard copies are definitely better than ebooks. :P)

I don't mind writing by hand at all, but I really hate cursive. It's always seemed to be a really ridiculous way to write, not to mention it gets harder and harder to read the more often you use it. It's like print writing's horrible inverse. Plus, thanks to some school-hopping between second and third grade, I had to learn it three times. Kinda loses its charm after the second time.

*Looks at blog banner*

...

5 comments:

  1. I hate cursive. I was never good at it and still can't go some capitol letters, like G. I just write it out as a regular print G. F's and E's and T's, too. I can do them, I just don't. And I have to write so slow in cursive so I get the letter's right that it's almost pointless.

    I do a mix of both handwriting things and computer writing. Granted most of my actual writing is done on the computer, but I will write snippets on paper and figure things out in my notebook. Sadly, my carpal tunnel is so bad I can't hand write for very long and when I force myself to, it looks more like Arabian writing than English, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write by hand when writer's block strikes. I don't write in strictly cursive, though. It's like a strange hybrid.

    I did hear that cursive may no longer be taught in schools. That actually depressed me a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that some schools aren't teaching cursive anymore, which has some people quite upset. I wonder how they will sign their signature? lol

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing cursive. Granted, mine's gotten a bit messy as of late, but I find printing so labour-intensive.
    I tend to write my novels/scripts on the computer, but almost all my jotting down/hashing out plot ideas, storyboarding, and note-taking is done by hand. (Character development tends to get split up between the computer and the notebooks which is really confusing but I still do it anyway...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @JesiMarie: Eek, don't blame you for sticking to the computer then. Handwriting just can't be pleasant for you. :/

    @Meika: Wow, really? That's strange, since it is pretty important to learn how to sign your name and all that.

    @Rachel: Thank you very much! And absolutely. :)
    Yeah, when else are they supposed to learn how to write their signatures? That's just ridiculous.

    @Kate: Wow, you sound like my cousin. She prefers cursive for the same reason. :D
    Sounds like you have a pretty good system, though.

    ReplyDelete