July 19, 2011

The people who just don't get it.

Can I quote myself for a second? I don't mean to sound pretentious, but it'll inform this post.
I know what I want to do with my life. I think people think I'm joking when I say, "I'm gonna work dead-end jobs and write novels my whole life," but I'm being perfectly serious. I could not care less what my day job is; I just want to write.
So after graduating, people expect me to do something with my degree. I am. I'm trying to finish a story and get it published. That's the primary directive here. But they don't ask anything about that. They specifically ask, "What kind of jobs are you applying for?"

Honest answer: The kind that are hiring and that don't take up extra hours so I can write.

And I swear, almost every time, they look at me like, Ohhh. You still haven't grown out of that. Uh, nope. Not about to "grow out of" the one thing I'm sure I'm supposed to do.

A day job is just there to be convenient and get me out of this house. And that's all there is to say on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You just completely described my grandmother.
    My parents are finally beginning to understand though. It took a few years, but they're much more supportive now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my parents are still trying to understand, but they try.

    ReplyDelete