March 9, 2011

Word Usage: Say what you mean to say

Earlier this evening, my friend Joe tried to define the word "manifest". I can't remember his exact wording now, but it was something like "something has a shape or it's known". And then I had a blog idea. :D

For the record, here's the dictionary definition for "manifest":
-adjective
1) readily perceived by the eye or the understanding; evident; obvious; apparent; plain: a manifest error.
2) Psychoanalysis . of or pertaining to conscious feelings, ideas, and impulses that contain repressed psychic material: the manifest content of a dream as opposed to the latent content that it conceals.
-verb (used with an object)
3) to make clear or evident to the eye or the understanding; show plainly: He manifested his approval with a hearty laugh.
4) to prove; put beyond doubt or question: The evidence manifests the guilt of the defendant.
5) to record in a ship's manifest.
-noun
6) a list of the cargo carried by a ship, made for the use of various agents and officials at the ports of destination.
7) a list or invoice of goods transported by truck or train.
8) a list of the cargo or passengers carried on an airplane.
Thank you, Dictionary.com. :)

Anyway, that just got me thinking about word usage and how it can be really easy to misuse a word. Like if you're not 100% sure what something means, but you say it or write it anyway. And then someone asks you what it means. Then what? Hate to sound rude, but you sound like you're just trying to be impressive.

Point is, if you're not 100%, you should just look the word up. If you know another word that more accurately fits the situation, use that word. It's OK if it's only two syllables. Honest! :D

And... yep. That's all.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look words up all the time. I hate when I'm in a public situation and I think a word is right, but I have no way to look it up and have to find another word, lol.

    Ps, I really like your new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Love the blog makeover, by the way!)

    (Also, I have a John Mayer song stuck in my head after reading this post's title...)

    I love your comment about using words that you actually know the meaning of, even if they're only two syllables. So true!

    Also, I feel as though my Kindle is expanding my vocabulary because I can quickly look up words I don't know instead of just skipping over them because I'm too lazy... But don't worry. I don't plan on using big words anytime soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both. :)
    Jesi: I know what you mean. That's just the worst when you're not totally sure if you're using a word correctly.
    Erin: Does the Kindle have a little built-in dictionary? That's neat. And yes, only pull out the big guns when required.
    Also, sorry about getting a song stuck in your head.

    ReplyDelete