February 12, 2011

"So what's your major?" "Creative Writing." "Ohhhh."

You know those people.

--

"So you’re a student, huh?"
"Yeah, over at Western."
"What’s your major?"
"Creative Writing."
"Ohhhh. How interesting." Read: "Ohhh. You have no chance of ever making it in this world."
"Yeah, it's a lot of fun." Read: "You and I have very different definitions of 'making it'."
"So what kind of things do you write?" Read: "If you were a writer."
"Oh, sci-fi, fantasy, mostly speculative fiction. That sorta thing." Read: "I am a writer, and you are some random stranger who has no idea what I'm capable of."
"Are you ever going to write a book someday?" Read: "You probably haven't even attempted to write an actual book."
"Actually, I've written three." Read: "I've written three. Wench."

--

Paraphrased from an actual conversation.


Moral of the story? Don't let the cynics get you down. Never stop writing. Never stop doing what you love.

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud. Good for you for sticking up for yourself (even if only here on your blog)!

    Wonderful advice to keep in mind.

    Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^_^ I know that feeling.

    "So, you're a photographer..." (aka, "good luck with that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that's great. I haven't really had that conversation wit anyone who wasn't into writing already, so I'm lucky there. But I await the day that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin: Thank you! :) Had to say something.

    Danielle: Well, you're really talented, so you've got nothing to worry about. ^^

    JesiMarie: Yeah, once you start having those types of conversations, I don't think you'll be able to help but feel defensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative writing is actually a great major and heres advice for anyone wanting to major in creative writing read this article: http://www.parentsandcolleges.com/blog/bid/147439/Advice-for-Potential-Creative-Writing-Majors

    ReplyDelete