February 16, 2011

WDIST Syndrome*

*Why Did I Submit This Syndrome. Allow me to explain.

There's this class at school that I desperately want to take next semester. It's called the New Play Project. It's basically a collaboration between the Creative Writing students and the Theater students. This year, it'll be focused on creating a serial show.

I REALLY WANT IN THIS CLASS. But to get in it, you had to send a 10-60 page script to the professor and also tell him about your background in theater. So I polished up a piece that I wrote a little over a year ago (Peace, Love, Untied Sneakers), and sent it off last night. I also made a big, fat deal of my two years of a high school playwriting class because, as mentioned before, I REALLY WANT IN THIS CLASS.

So immediately after I hit Send, I thought, "WHY DID I JUST SEND THAT PIECE OF CRAP. It is awful! It wasn't ready! I am an iiiiiiiiidiot!" That is WDIST Syndrome.

(This is why I haven't started querying for any of my stories: fear that I will have a nervous breakdown.)

But today I got an email from the professor saying that it sounded good and he'll be in touch after break. So around March 7.

Here's hoping. *Fingers crossed*

3 comments:

  1. I hate this syndrome, it SUCKS.

    One day, though, you will get over it, for the most part. I don't think it ever fully goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this title, Qzie! I suffer from this syndrome as well, but I call it Submitter's Remorse. If nothing else, you can take comfort in the fact that you're not alone! I read your blog, so I know that chances are good that you are not an idiot (with one i or more than one i's.) Deep breaths.

    I've got my fingers crossed for you...keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesi: Yeah, you're probably right about that last part. And you're definitely right about that first part.
    Erin: That's a better name for it. But thanks. :) And I will.

    ReplyDelete